I’ve been having some fun taking part in the Xamarin Holiday contest for creating a Xamarin plugin. My entry for the competition is a Messaging Plugin. The Messaging plugin makes it possible to make a phone call, send a SMS or send an e-mail using the default messaging applications on the different mobile platforms.
I’ve been slowly adding new features and have just published a new version of the plugin that adds support for sending attachments as part of an e-mail. In addition to adding attachments support I did some clean-up and refactoring on the plugin API. Unfortunately this introduces a few breaking changes and I’ve therefore decided to make the new version a major update (2.0.0).
Here is a list of supported features for v2:
- Send SMS (supported on iOS, Android, WinPhone 8, WinPhone RT)
- Make Phone Call (supported on iOS, Android, WinPhone 8, WinPhone RT)
- Send Email (supported on iOS, Android, WinPhone 8, WinPhone RT and limited support on WinStore via mailto protocol)
- Send HTML Email (supported on iOS, Android)
- Send Email Attachments (supported on iOS, Android, WinPhone RT)
Here is the release notes for v2:
- Added support for attachments via IEmailAttachment abstraction
- Added IEmailMessage abstraction
- Breaking change: Deprecated EmailMessageRequest. Construct IEmailMessage using EmailMessageBuilder instead.
- Breaking change: Changed IEmailTask.SendMail overload to use IEmailMessage.
- Breaking change: Deprecated Lotz.Xamarin.Messaging.Abstractions namespace. Use Lotz.Xamarin.Messaging instead.